Monday, April 19, 2010

La plus ça change...


The pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus said that "everything changes and nothing remains still", while a continent away but around the same time, the Buddha declared "Decay is inherent in all component things". 2500 years later, Smash Mouth opined that "we could all use a little change" and Sheryl Crow agreed that it would do us good.  So how come we're not convinced?

Pundits and rock stars aside, most of us just aren't good with change.  In the past six months, my team at work has changed supervisors, seen two team members leave to work in other areas, and is welcoming an old colleague back into the fold.  Oh, and we've all swapped roles: it's the Support Services do-si-doh!  People in neighbouring areas come over and nod sagely at us.  "Lotsa change, eh?" they say, making sure to keep at a slight remove in case it's catching.
 
Spring is full of positive changes.  (Fall's changes are just as necessary to the seasonal cycle, but have less effective PR reps.) For gardeners like me, it's a time of plotting, planning, and rubbing one's dirty hands with glee.  I'm trying to embrace the changes in my life, and I'm giving the neighbourhood notice of this new intent by ripping out my front lawn.  Right now it's a sea of dirt, and I'm not sure if my ideas on paper will translate successfully into action, but one thing is for certain: it's going to be a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment